Pictures of Kyoto

Pictures of Kyoto

Friday, July 25, 2008

Sushi is growing on me.



My first experience of sashimi (raw fish) was enough to make me want to vomit (it was a cheap and nasty meal.) But I have had 4 opportunities to eat sushi in the last 4 months and have enjoyed the food and the experience.


My favourite, Hamburger sushi.


Next there was the raw salmon.


Kaiten zushi is what the Japanese call this style of restaurant. They find it funny that we refer to it in the west as a sushi train restaurant. The place we went to costs $1.00 per plate. So the locals really throw down a few plates worth. We waited 2 hours to get a table (it was a public holiday though.)





First time we went was with one of our English classes. You can see Sharon and I looking through from the other side.



The second time I went was with a Japanese pastor from America. He left Japan when he was 15 yrs old and has been living in Texas for the last 16 years. He has a very strong Texan accent and a great appetite for sushi. I had a great time eating and talking with him.



Third time we went for sushi was with our Pastor and his wife. What a great couple they are.
He likes the expensive $2.00 plates.



And the forth time of eating sushi this month was at a sushi party. We had to roll our own sushi. I tried eveything, salmon, eel, octopus, suid, and mince. lol.



But, you can't beat a BBQ Japanese style with Aussie beef. We were told they had too much meat and didn't want to keep it so we had to eat it all. I said, "No problem, I need to catch up on my meat eating." Delicious..........