Pictures of Kyoto

Pictures of Kyoto

Thursday, August 21, 2008

We all need friends.


I have been preaching a series on Friendships recently. I have enjoyed this series as I have reflected on the many friendships I have had over my life. Friends are important. Some I wish I could spend more time with and some I wish I could get rid of. lol. :) I love you all and thank you for reading.


Here are some thoughts.


Proverbs 18:24 “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”
Nobody wants to be alone. We all have a desire for friendship. The truth is we were made for friendship and the bible is full of principles to help us have good friendships.


1. To keep your friends you have to be friendly.

If you don’t give to your friendships they will slowly weaken.
Matt 7:12 “Therefore whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them.” In friendship you have to sow what you want to reap. If you want friends to be there for you when you are in need; be there for them. If you want your friends to forgive you when you make mistakes; then forgive them. Be the friend you want others to be to you.

2. Be friendly first. I have heard many people say, “But I don’t have any friends.” Every time I hear this I point to this verse. You want friends? Be friendly yourself.


3. You need Sticky Friends. Notice it says, “…a friend who sticks…” We need friends that stick to us like honey, no matter what we go through. And if we want sticky friends then we have to be sticky friends as well.

4. Why does it say “But”? Because even when you’re not friendly, even when you’re ugly, even when you’ve made mistakes, even if all your friends have left you. You are not alone. There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Jesus is the stickiest friend; he is the best friend who is better than a brother. He will stick with you no matter what if you come into friendship with Him. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He sicks closer than a brother.